Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Week Twelve: Jubilee! Sabbatical in Costa Rica Begins


Okay, I am going to cheat. It is Tuesday, I am in Costa Rica, and I cannot JUST write about last week. But I must write about last week first!

What a wonderful send off for sabbatical I received from my family and friends and from Florence Church! I had many special meals with family and friends, and Donald and I went to see Avatar as our Valentine's date on Friday night (stimulating much conversation about how the imagination of the film does or does not coincide with the realities of life between Costa Rica, Cambodia and Congo and the US). It was a tender farewell to Drew and Caitlin and little Lily in utero. Ah, I hope belly photos will follow me!

Sunday was full of all the best of Florence and home. Worship was gifted with an original song by Ben Nofsinger, fabulous singing by Florence choir and men's ensemble, blessings and anointing, and then food and dancing! What more could I ask for. My photo from last week is of Daniela teaching salsa to us in the church basemnt! Perfecto! We had a relaxed and soulful afternoon at home around the woodstove, and Donald delivered me to the South Bend Regional airport at 6:30 pm to catch the bus to O'Hare.

Here is a bit of travelogue:
All travel went very well. It was a long night, but I was able to sleep during most of the flying, and I had lovely conversation partners. First flight<<<<<< was a young couple from Chicago coming to CR for 2 months to find a place to teach. She was an English secondary ed major. They had been teaching in Bogota, and could not find teaching in Chicago area. Delightful. Second flight it was two young men from Chicago, originally from Ecuador. They were going home for a vacation. Both are managers of Dunkin Doughtnuts in Chicago. Very encouraging for my Spanish.

AND NOW I am in Costa Rica. Henry and Martha were pressed up against the glass outside the airport when I arrived. Ben, Martha was not too short to see. She was wearing glorious, glowing white! The city is surrounded by mountains, some crowned with clouds. The trees are in bloom, orange and yellow, and the bouganvilla is bright pink and red. As the sun set the parrots were so noisy between us and the mountains as we walked to Sabor de Cafe for our evening meal. Glorious! Henry and Martha and I talk and talk in Spanish and English and watch Olympics in between. In a few moments we will drive with Leo, Martha's brother, to his land near the coast. More to come...

Love to all...

Feel free to comment! Nina

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so good to hear from you and that you arrived safely and are in the good care of Henry and Martha. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and seeing some pictures. Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete