Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 25: Farm Trek, the Next Generation


What a thrill to know that four of the farms at the Goshen Farmer's Market are tended, at least in part, by folks from my small rural congregation.

Pictured above is Josh Ewert, son of Randy Ewert (Star Trek Fan Extraordinaire).

In southwest Michigan, where a few decades ago family farms were failing left and right, a new generation is sustaining good food in new ways. This is Josh and Randy's first season as market gardeners together.

On Bair Lane in Marcellus, MI, there are three market gardens, all neighboring each other and all connected to Florence Church. And a fourth farm, Sustainable Greens in Jones, is also where Randy works on occasion as well as Maria Montoya and her family, and now recent college grads from Florence Church, Jheny Nieto and Emma Fenton-Miller.

I realized as I bought lettuce and radishes from Luke Nofsinger of One Straw Farm yesterday that it was an act of recycling.
Only last growing season I had walked through White Yarrow fields with Luke as he dreamed of farming -- in France. "Why in France?" I asked. "It's beautiful! And exotic! But it's not a realistic dream for me to be a farmer, even though I love it."

Well, as a pastor I recycled that dream right back to Luke.

"Keep dreaming."

(See related story from August 2009 at the Florence Church Blog)
http://florencechurch.blogspot.com/2009/08/church-is-about-discipleship-passing-on.html

Luke grew the salad I ate for dinner tonight. I paid him at the Goshen Farmers' Market for his work. And, well, I suppose in his support of Florence Church he pays me!

I'd say that's holy local organic spiritual visionary sustainable recycling!

Market Farms linked to Florence Church of the Brethren Mennonite:

Bair Lane Farm -- Randy, Roxie and Josh Ewert

One Straw Farm -- Luke Nofsinger and Daniela Zehr

Sustainable Greens -- Kate and James Lind and farm workers Randy Ewert, Maria Montoya, Jheny, Brenda and Kathia Nieto, and Emma Fenton-Miller

White Yarrow Farm -- Dale Hasenick and Jo Beachy

Other Florence Church related Farms:

Maple Tree Meadows -- Karla Kauffman (cultivating soul and soil)

VillaMiller Farms -- Henry and Martha Miller (seed corn, soy beans, wheat)

No comments:

Post a Comment