Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week 15: Tercera Semana -- Finca la Flor


Photo: The cooks of Finca la Flor with Ana Rosa Vargas Carranza, one of the founders, on the right.

On Monday, as I began my work as a volunteer at Finca la Flor, I wondered why on earth I had chosen to be here. It was one of the only HOT and sunny days and after a week of mostly rain, a new kind of dampness soaked me -- sweat!

My assigned task was to walk up and down a very steep hill in order to pull, push, shove and roll massive pieces of wood that we would later stack for firewood. This wood is used to cook our meals. But heck! This was NOT fun….And those of you who know me well know that this kind of physical labor is, what shall I say?, not my first choice in life usually.

But I end a very rainy week very inspired, full of life, and feeling I am in the perfect place this day.

It is due to a dream.

I dreamed that I was in a large temple. There was a priest in the front. He was trying to convey the “miseracordia” (mercy) of God to the people. And there were huge golden letters high in the air with the message of God, with the desire of God to hold the people and the world in God’s hands. But people were leaving the church. And the priest had no idea of what to do.

Then a wise woman in the temple approached the priest. She handed him a necklace made of the seeds of the earth. “It is this way,” she said, “that people will know God. If you work with them, with the earth, together, planting these seeds.” Then the golden letters fell from the sky. And the hands of God emerged, holding the whole earth.


This is my dream, but I did not dream it. This is the dream of Ana Rosa Vargas Carranza, one of the co-founders of Finca la Flor.

This morning Ana Rosa came from her teaching job in San Jose to gather all the Finca la Flor cooks for a meeting. The purpose was to share once more the original vision of Finca la Flor so that the cooks would not only cook well, but would see their work in the broader context of the dream, the vision of this place. I felt honored to sit at the table with these women and hear the many ways their work here has shaped their homes, their health, their hopes for their community.

I began to wonder how these same values might take shape in Flor-ence -- Church of La Flor! Here is my paraphrase of the vision:

Because this area is saturated with agricultural chemicals and has the highest rate of stomach cancer in all of Costa Rica, Finca la Flor will function as an organic farm, enriching the soil with organic materials only.

Because the forests of Costa Rica are being destroyed daily, Finca la Flor will protect a large area of forest, supporting the flow of water in the La Flor River.

Because animals are treated harshly in most contexts that produce animal products, Finca la Flor will tend and raise animals with respect and understanding.

Because the stress of daily living and work in modern culture resulting in stress and illness, Finca la Flor will be a community of mutual support with priority given to BEING and right relationships.

Because the concerns of La Flor and Costa Rica mirror global concerns, Finca la Flor welcomes and deeply appreciates volunteers from all over the world who come as guests, maintaining the farm and forming a network of common values.

Because our culture no longer values quality foods and quality time in growing and preparing food, Finca la Flor offers delicious and healthy meals made with natural ingredients from the farm and nearby.

Because it is difficult for small farmers locally to earn enough money to support their families, Finca la Flor gives the opportunity for dignified work without the need to leave the local community.

All the programs of Finca la Flor -- education of children and volunteers, organic farming, and alternative Spanish instruction -- are intended to benefit not only those who participate directly, but the local community who, ultimately, will lead Finca la Flor to promote the common good of all.


Brigette Draabe, the other co-founder was here my first week. I feel honored to know Bri and Ana Rosa, two wise and bold women. And I also feel honored to know and work and dance with the other women who work here like Eugenia and Lena -- strong women who left abusive relationships, stood against the counsel of the church to “submit” to such abuse, and who lead this community with passion and joy.

One of the women at the meeting today told the story of a volunteer who cried when it was time to leave. I think I will, too, when my stay is done at the end of this week. Meanwhile, I am off to the local restaurant and to dancing this evening in La Flor.

Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment