Friday, March 12, 2010

Week 16: Final Week at Finca la Flor -- Mi finca es su finca; mi casa es tu casa



Photo: This week's new volunteers on a bridge across the La Flor River.

On a tour down the mountain to the river and back up again, led by Vinicio Gomez, we learned that the bosque or tropical forest that is part of the finca has grown up from pasture land IN THE LAST TEN YEARS. It is truly a wonder!

This was my last week at Finca la Flor. I am writing on Friday night -- my day "in between" -- from the bed and breakfast called Cinco Hormigas Rojas in San Jose. Donald and I will be staying here in three weeks. It is an amzing mini ecosystem in downtown San Jose, a forest that has grown up in the last 10-12 years -- the same time period Finca la Flor was restoring natural forest lands.

I am half way through my time in Costa Rica, with three weeks ahead of me living with a family in the Monteverde region. The final week will be with Donald on the Osa Peninsula in southwest Costa Rica.

It is hard to find an adequate photo or adequate words to reflect my time at Finca la Flor with Bri Daabe (director) and wonderful guides, cooks, teachers and volunteers making our global community.

WHAT IS THE UNIQUE GIFT OF FINCA LA FLOR?

Global grassroots hope through common work and community. (I was often reminded of the book Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and Why No One Saw it Coming by Paul Hawkins. Volunteers in the past three weeks came from British Columbia, Quebec (2), New Brunswick (3), CA, FL (4),IN, Brooklyn NY (3), France, Austria, portugal, Switzerland, Belgium and Japan! Bri speaks German, Spanish, English and French and has the gift of allowing community to emerge gracefully and challengingly. And what becomes evident it the commitment to healthy and sustainable food and living in every case and in various forms.

AND the very real challenges of forging and global community in a very specific and personal context -- the little farm village of La Flor. As in all places, the lives of those who work at La Flor have all the joys and sorrows of humanity. And, as a host community, they also have the joys and challenges of seeing people like me come, attach themselves, make loving friendships, work hard, and leave.

I enjoyed immensely my conversations with everyone, but especially with Bri.

Maybe it was our similar ages (she at 62 and me at 57). Maybe it was our similar roles (she "on call" all the time for organizing, problem solving, playing, and working very hard). Maybe it was our similar dreams -- to live in community around the values and hopes we hold dear for the world. I am grateful that Bri plans to come visit the US and me! I have made many friends where I hope that "mi casa es su casa" is more than an expression but a reality.

And I convey to you one part of Bri's dream and longing:

She hopes that there will be more people from different cultures that will want to make Finca la Flor HOME. She is longing for a community that will sustain not only the vision and work of the farm, but her own soul. I have to believe that there are folks who will also dream this dream.

And for me...sleep...night dreams...and the new adventures of tomorrow.

I love your comments if you are able to send any!

Love and Peace to all. Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment